Monday 18 April 2016

What Is That Fire Burning In His Eyes?

Still riffing on that moment between Ophelia and Hamlet. This is her interior monologue happening at the same time as the last scene.

What? I don’t understand. Hamlet. Dad. He dropped him like a sack of potatoes. He looks confused. He looks wild. His eyes. Oh those eyes. They burn me. What is wrong with dad? Why doesn’t he get up. I don’t understand. Everything is so confusing. Hamlet, say something. Dad, say something. Move please. I am scared. Help me Dad. Laertes! Please come home. I am so lost. He is coming closer. They way he stares. It burns my soul but…is he looking at me or through me. Is my nightdress see-through? Dad will be so mad. When will he wake up? What is wrong with him? Should I get dressed? Is it immodest for Hamlet to see me like this? His eyes, they burn. Oooh, my stomach has jumping jacks. My thighs are hot. If I part my legs will that be rude. A cool breeze would be nice in my crotch. I am breathing heavy. Am I afraid? What am I afraid of? He loves me. He said so. Is that the look of love? There is passion but something holds me back. I want to step away, but what if that incites him? Maybe I want him to come to me. Laertes warned me about this. Dad will kill me when he wakes up. Why is he asleep? Dad, wake up! What is Hamlet doing to him? Leave him alone! What have you done? Oh my god. Is he breathing? I have to go to him but I am so afraid. Why won’t he leave? Does he have foul intentions. I love him, but heT is unpredictable nowadays. I am afraid. Is that normal? Perhaps it is not him I am afraid of, perhaps it is myself. What is that fire burning in his eyes. Is it me?

No comments:

Post a Comment