Wednesday 6 April 2016

The Dawn of Time

Another picture inspired piece of generative writing. This time the picture was of a monkey at a kitchen table. He has a half eaten pawpaw in front of him. His eyes seem drooping and he is sitting back on a chair in a relaxed fashion.

Monkey: It was a long time ago now.
Interviewer: Tell me about it.
Monkey: I was young. I was very very young at the time. I didn’t know how young I was. You never know how young you are when you’re young. You only understand youth through age.
Interviewer: How young were you?
Monkey: I was so young the earth was still forming. Rocks were sliding, saplings were peeping their heads out of the ground and clouds were only just beginning to part to let the sun shine through.
Interviewer: That sounds like the dawn of time!
Monkey: It was predawn. The birds were yet to fly, the bees to buzz, and the snakes to slither. The waters were just wending their ways down the mountains to form the great oceans, and the clay was only beginning to bake into land.
Interviewer: You were around then?
Monkey: As I said, I was a young’un.

No comments:

Post a Comment