Sunday 3 April 2016

A Century Later

I just read an amazing play. It is called 'Machinal' by Sophie Treadwell. I can't believe it was written all the way back in 1928! It reads like something written in the 70's, and is incredibly powerful. It is based on a true story too, although that is easier to believe. Perhaps the scariest thing to realise is that this story could be as real today as it was back in 1905 when it happened. That is how little we have progressed socially.

The play falls into the category of expressionist which was very helpful. In my Vorticist research I have been struggling to isolate expressionism in theatre, and this was so on point. I was interested to see that one of the mechanisms I have developed (3 reporters) is actually something that Treadwell used in her play. I don't think she really follows through with the device and the reporters in 'Machinal' tend to just become an ambiguous chorus in the final scene, but I can see where the idea came from in her work and it really is from the same place as it does for me. It is the external eye and the prism of observation.

On a slightly more depressing note, as soon as I read the first scene I realised that someone I have worked with in the past plagiarised her idea. I know plagiarism is a strong word, but the concept and structure and even characters and language are just too similar (as in, almost identical) for it to be mere coincidence. It makes me sad to see someone very talented resorting to this but I think it comes from the ridiculous post-dramatic concept of the death of the author. The author is not dead and shall be acknowledged!

No comments:

Post a Comment