Tuesday 19 April 2016

Ophelia's Waltz

My final exploration of Ophelia looked at her first private meeting with Laertes upon his return.

Ophelia is going through the standard ballet training positions. She is humming with a waltz tune.  Laertes calls from a distance

L: Ophelia!      
   
She continues humming and starts dancing around the room in formal ballet. Laertes enters.

L: My sweet Ophelia.

She sweeps past him, brushing against him as she dances.

L: I need to speak with you.

She hums louder and dances away from him.

L: It’s about Hamlet.

She pauses, then moves into a waltz, with a pretend partner. She has stopped humming, but smiles dreamily.
L: Ophelia, sweet, you need to listen.

She keeps dancing, so as she waltzes past him he steps into her embrace and dances with her.

O: Hamlet?
L: Yes, Hamlet.
O: They seem higher my love.
L: What do?
O: Your lips.
L: My…?
O: Under the moon I felt your lips without strain. Now my heels must reach for the sky to press our flesh together.
L: Ugh! Stop.

They stop dancing

O: Never stop my heart.
L: Ophelia, I am Laertes.
O: You said you were Hamlet.
L: I want to speak to you about Hamlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment