Monday 11 July 2016

The Baby

A little somethin', somethin' whipped up in improv class

TIM: So we’re keeping  it.

ELLEN: When did we make that decision?

TIM: We have the resources, we have the finances.

ELLEN: Have you even thought about this? Darling, we can’t – raise - a child.

TIM: It’s a life we made!

ELLEN: Do you want that?

TIM: Yes! Do you want that?

ELLEN: I can’t believe you are willing to disrupt our lives like this. Do you know what it will mean?

TIM: That we get to raise a beautiful child together?

ELLEN: When did you get so excited about babies?

TIM: I’m not excited about babies, but I’m excited about - Financial drain, responsibility... I don’t care about that. We’re gonna do this together.

ELLEN: You can’t say that you don’t care about that.

TIM: But why are you pregnant? It must be like, I don’t know, a sign...

ELLEN: Oh, here we go again. You’ve always got to have your heart broken, don’t you?

TIM: At least I have a heart.

ELLEN: I don’t want the baby.

TIM: Why?

ELLEN: I’m not ready.
                                   
TIM: You’re not ready. Look, I said we have the resources, we have the finances to raise this kid, so we’re raising this kid!

ELLEN: What about the emotional drain? It doesn’t matter about the money!

TIM: Well, I love you! Isn’t that enough?
                                                                                 
ELLEN: No, it’s not enough. I don’t love this baby.  I’m just being sensible.

TIM: Or insensitive.
                                                                    
ELLEN: Shut up! Piss off! Go on, piss off! You still here?

TIM: Yes.

ELLEN: Why?  I don’t know what you want me to say.

TIM: I don’t know what I want you to say.

ELLEN: You want me to say yes, I wanna have the baby. You just want me to agree with you and I don’t want to do that.

TIM: And what? You want me to agree with you? It’s a baby. It’s our baby. This is the opportunity I’ve... that we can have a child finally... You’re being blind.
                                                                
ELLEN: I don’t know what to do with it.   We can go to the Family Planning Clinic and ...

TIM: No, no, no, we’re not doing that. They just... they just don’t get it.

ELLEN: You don’t get it.

TIM: what do you mean I don’t get it?

ELLEN: You don’t have any idea.

TIM: How long have we been together?

ELLEN: Seven years.

TIM: Seven years. Don’t you think we know each other well enough to make our own decisions?

ELLEN: Stop saying our decision.

TIM: So what? It’s your decision?

ELLEN: What if, you know... we have the baby and we realise we don’t actually want it.

TIM: Well we... we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. We don’t have to think so far ahead.

ELLEN: Yes we do!

TIM: Isn’t it enough that I love you?

ELLEN: You’re so selfish.

TIM: I’m thinking about what’s best for us.

ELLEN:  you’re not listening to me.

TIM: Tell me!

ELLEN: I don’t want the baby!

TIM: Why?

ELLEN: Because I don’t know if I love you!

TIM: How long have you been thinking that?
                                                                                                           
ELLEN: You can’t force me to stay with you because of this baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment