Thursday 31 May 2012

The Dice Is Cast

The dice is cast.  This is a saying I have always misquoted.  I have never really thought about what it means until today when I tweeted it.  I have always heard it as 'dye', but today I realised that this does not make sense.  You don't 'cast' dye, but you do cast a dice.  So maybe the saying originates as the die 'are' cast.  Either way I have been saying it wrong.  Now I need to decide if it will be one dice or many die.  For now I am going for one.  We shall see if that works or if people notice.  I realise this is not an earth shattering dilemma, but it bugs me when I discover I have not been paying attention to my linguistics.  It makes me feel ignorant.  Yes, I know - OCD.

A milestone day today.  I finalised my registration for the Melbourne Fringe Festival 2012, payed my monies, and signed my contract.  I haven't actually signed the venue agreement yet, but we have chatted on the phone and I am just waiting for th paperwork.  Fringe didn't ask for proof of a finalised agreement, but we have a verbal agreement and I am just waiting on some corrected paperwork and then it will all be sorted.  So, yes, I have committed myself to 6 months of poverty and endless deadlines, but I have also committed myself to several months of exciting exploration of a great idea, and progress towards the ultimate goal of going into full production.

Casting is making progress as well.  I have 4 of my cast of 8 confirmed.  As is usual, the male parts are harder to cast than the female roles, but I refuse to be defeated by this.  There is still a lot of time, and I am beginning by asking the people I want to work with nd whom I know.  Once I have exhausted these options, I shall go for a general casting call.

Now all I need to do is get a job to pay for it all.  And/or funding...

No comments:

Post a Comment