Saturday 12 May 2012

Rejection Is The Way Forward

I thought I would be a bit more blue today than I am.  Yesterday I suffered three rejections.  They were friendly and respectful, but in the end they all said no.  Interestingly, apart from that initial dropping of the stomach that you always feel when you first get a no, I am in some ways quite pleased. 

In applying for the Fringe Hub I had actually painted myself into a bit of a corner, and tried to create a dynamic performance out of a development process, which would have put artistic and financial pressures on me that I possibly wouldn't be able to bear well.  I also got rejected by 45 Downstairs as an alternative venue.  At first I felt stymied. 

Then I reread the Fringe Hub email and they suggested a couple of alternative venues for me.  One (Blue Circus Studios) I couldn't find any information on the internet for, so I ditched that one.  The second was Revolt Productions.  This I found a website for and have applied for costing and availability.

The big find, though, was Gasworks.  I had initially rejected this as an option because their location is difficult, and nowhere near the Fringe Hub.  When I had a look at their venues and facilities and started thinking about it, I realised that I was being too narrow minded.  If I can do it there, I can do it in a smaller and more controlled manner.  This means that I have a greater chance of achieving my artistic outcomes, and probably have a better chance of giving the audience a good time.  The Studio has just the right amount of technical equipment to make an effort without suffering budget stress, the cost of the venue is low, and this means I can focus my financial resources on paying the actors and designer some money, and doing some simple costume thing.  Oh, and pay for a rehearsal venue for one week!  It also has the advantage of being on theatremakers radars, and this project complements the kinds of things that take place there.

I often forget how rejection makes you think laterally.  It makes you question your goals, priorities, and needs, and gets you to reassess how to move forward.  Or, in some cases, whether moving forward is really what you want to do, or if you would just rather stop.  In this case, for now, I want to keep trying to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment