Sunday 20 May 2012

The Art of Articulation

One door opening/closing...you know the drill. It is funny how suddenly there are some opportunities to apply for opportunities - I love that concept!  Anyway, the important point is that at the moment I am in the fascinating position of being required to articulate my visions, goals and intentions as an artist, and it is an edifying process.

Think about it.  In 500 words or less explain/describe/articulate what you do, why you do it, and how you will continue to do it.  These are not questions faced by most people.  They may be implicit, but ask anyone in your family, and the closest you will probably get is that someone - probably at a job interview - asked them to tell them where they saw themselves in 5 years.

For the practicing artist, however, you are required to bare your soul, expound your beliefs, and even expose your curiosities.  The more fascinating aspect of that, though, is that you need to have a stated end goal.  You can't just be curious.  You can't just want to explore.  Your most ephemeral processes must be measurable and somehow achievable.

Luckily for me, this is not difficult.  I have an essential love of order, and am not afraid of boxes.  It is just a question of which box do I want to put myself into?  There are so many!  I don't believe fitting into a box denies individuality and uniqueness, but that is why the right boxes - or words - are so very important.  If this is the standard upon which you and your work are measured, you better hope it is the right measuring stick to use.

There is something rather narcissistic about having to examine yourself in this way.  If you can do so, does that give you some divine right through insight?  Or does it just make you a butt munching egotist?  Is there the resonance of sincerity, or is it just clever wordplay? 

I don't think I have any divine rights or am an egotist.  My goal is to write down what is true and right for me, and then just see what will happen.  It might be worthy to others or might not.  Toss the dice, drop the chips, let's see what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment