Thursday 28 November 2013

The Art Of Compromise

Progress, progress, progress.  I had a very important meeting today regarding the Brecht.  I went into the Union House and had a chat with Clynton about what was happening in our performance week and what the limitations would be.  They are quite severe, but as we all know, restriction enhances creativity.

I had this stunningly brilliant idea of placing the seating on the stage and performing on the seating tiers, giving us a vertical space to work in.  Unfortunately, this is not going to be possible because we will be sharing the space with possibly 2 other groups, so I will have to use the stage.  This is significant because it changes from a verticle space to a horizontal space.  There isn't really anything I can do about it though.  The other problem is that because it is a shared space I can't really erect anything to create a vertical space either.  Oh well.  I will save the tears for later.  Right now I have to reimagine my concept.

I spent a bit of time in the space and did some visualising.  In the end I think it will still work, and you never know - some gem may appear that would never have been possible working vertically.  Maybe the river scene will be more powerful?  It also means I can try challenging the actors to work vertically rather than relying on the space.

Clynton has agreed to the use of two 1.2x1.2 rostra, and I have permission to tape the floor up in a design if I choose to, so that might be the way to go.  We can still use a drop for some shadow puppetry, and I had this brilliant idea on the way home where we can then pull the cloths down and then they become flags behind the judge for the final scene.  Quite exciting really.  And as I write this, I realise that I can bring my fascination with Vorticism into this in the tape design.  It is the right era and has the right energy.  Mmmmmmm.  I think I might get to some sketching now:)

No comments:

Post a Comment