Saturday 13 October 2012

Moving Forward

Aaah, it feels like a life time!  So here I am, on the other side of the process - battle weary and injured, but still alive and on the right side of making progress.  That sounds very dramatic, but in the end the entire process was very dramatic.  I think the only reason I have come through this strongly is that I never lost sight of my purpose and goals.  There were many derailings and side trackings and complications and WTF moments, but in the end I just keep coming back to the fact that this process was an exploration - a research process.

So you can all see some of what came out of it by checking out the Othello:  Death Poll page.  It has great pics and videos and I am keeping the Facebook page so you can keep track of the progress from here by liking that :)

So what was the outcome you ask?  Well, I got some really amazing and useful feedback, both from the audiences and from the actors (and what an amazing team the final cast ended up being!).  I think the main thrust is that I can remove some of the analogous metaphors, I don't need to worry about explaining things in so much detail, and - most importantly - I can shift away from such slavish devotion to Othello and individualize the story. 

I have taken a small break and rest because I got really sick (probably exhaustion), but now it is time to get back to work.  Next week I will start mapping the script changes, and I need to think seriously about the music components of the show.  I have decided to try and go original with that aspect this time, which will require help because I am not a musician. It is a very exciting challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment