Saturday 21 April 2012

Grumpy Old Woman

Grrrr.  Grumpy and frustrated today.  I had to actually tell my actors off today for not coming to rehearsals prepared and with low energy, which wastes everybody's time.  One of them got what I was saying.  The other one just shrugged it off, and later referred to me as a control freak.  Yes, that is true.  I have always been a control freak.  That is how I get things done, and is somewhat implicit in the job title 'director'.  I should point out that they are students doing this for fun, but it is hard to get them to see that it will be much more fun for them if they are not worried about the fact that they don't know their lines and have forgotten the blocking.  And yes, they could learn from experience, but that will just make it horrible for everyone.

Mind you, it is possible that my grumpiness does not lie at their feet completely - well, sort of.  Both actors I was to work with today were going to be late, so I lost an hour of rehearsal anyway, and we only had a total of 7 hours scheduled this week.  Also, I nearly got caught for fare evasion.  Luckily I had a nice officer who suggested I buy a ticket at the next stop, which I did.  And then, of course, there is my famous memory problem.  I have drinks with friends planned, but I thought it was tonight and it turns out it is actually next week.  I didn't write it down immediately, and so I got it wrong.  Still, at least I didn't miss it! ;)

My solution for this far from perfect day is a beer and the Top Gear Arctic Special.  That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

No comments:

Post a Comment