Tuesday 19 August 2014

Found Writing

35 years. 35 years. 35 long years.  Long, long, years.  35 years of wishing.  Wishing.  Wishing for... what?  Sitting, wishing, reading.  Wishing for adventure.  Reading about adventure.  A library full of adventure.  Book after book after book after book of lives, loves, travails, hopes, dreams, hardships, failures, joy, glory, dragons, spells, wonder, and truth.  All of it written down.  All of it to be shared.  And here I sit.  Surrounded.  Surrounded for 35 years by adventure.  Reading about it, longing for it, dreaming of it, but never, ever doing anything about it.

I can't go.  I have my job.  I have my house to look after.  My possessions.  What will happen to my dog?  Besides, the bread would go mouldy.  I can't go.  I have to clean my bathroom first.  I can leave my house in a mess.  I don't really have anything suitable to wear.  I need to go shopping first.  And what would I buy?  Will it be hot or cold?  Will there be snow?  Do I need an umbrella or a bikini?  This is ridiculous!  No.  I can't go yet.  35 years isn't so long.  I do think I need another book though.  It might give me some ideas...

As I walk down the street I notice a travel agent,  I hesitate at the window, looking in.  Maybe I could make an enquiry.  It couldn't hurt.  It's not as if I am actually going right now.  Look!  They're having a sale - 35 years of adventure ON SALE!  That sounds exciting.  A bit long perhaps.  Maybe they have a shorter option.  Even full price, 10 years has to be cheaper than 35 years at a discount.  Although... you do always get better value for money when buying in bulk...  There might be quite a lot of savings by buying the full 35 years.  I will ask.  It can't hurt to ask...

I step inside and it looks rather more like a book store than a travel agency.  Stacks and stacks of books and magazines.  I browse and wander and then I see it!  The Book of GO.  I hesitate or just a moment but then I grab it quickly off the shelf before I can change my mind.  The money exchanges hands and then - I am GONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment