Wednesday 21 May 2014

Digging the 'DIG'

Tonight I attended a physical theatre workshop with the DIG collective.  I have attended one of their workshops before (last year) and they are a lot of fun.  When you work with DIG there are a few things you know before you even begin.  You know you are going to sweat, you know you are going to contort your body in all sorts of unexpected ways, and you know you are going to have a lot of fun and laughs.

We got all of that stuff tonight.  In particular, I enjoyed an excercise that involved being given a sound, and working with that sound physically until you find a word.  The second part of the excercise was to start with a word, and then work physically with the sound components of the word to find a completely different journey.  Through these exercises I came against my end goal problem.  I tended to rush through to the end rather than taking the time to explore the journeys completely.

My absolute favourite activity of the night, though, was the fruit exercise.  Three of us were given a piece of fruit - the others got a banana and a tomato.  I got an apple.  Our job was to make the audience believe our piece of fruit was the tastiest in the world.  I kind of really got into it.  I fell off my chair, rolled on the floor, had an orgasm, and rubbed the apple all over myself as well as stuffing as much of it into my mouth as possible.  The audience was literally rolling around laughing, although I was kind of only peripherally aware of that.  After the exercise was completed, I was covered in apple and apple juice (I had managed to smear it over my glasses, and through my hair, as well as all over my clothes).  The carpet was a real mess as well.  I nearly choked when we finished.  I had so  much apple in my mouth I had to spit it out.  It was a lot of fun though, and it has been a long time since I have been so involved in a moment, or since I have had an audience in the palm of my hands that way.  Not since Naomi In The Living Room.  I forgot what a nice feeling it was.

Oh, and yes, everyone agreed that they believed my apple was the tastiest piece of fruit;)

No comments:

Post a Comment